.
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

Monday, January 5, 2009

Challah Bread

I really enjoy trying new recipes. Whether its to cook a new meal for dinner or bake something special. It's really fun for me. I think it is because my mom spent a lot of time with me growing up, teaching me how to bake and cook. I learned pretty quickly.

I also learned very quickly that things do not always turn out the way I would have liked. But, I don't give up and I think that's important.

So, Saturday night I was looking at my new cookbook that my brother-in-law Cameron gave me, and found a recipe for Challah bread. Now, I have to admit. I was actually pretty intimidated by it because of the braiding. Funny, huh? But once I read the directions and looked at the cookbook's step by step instructions on how to actually braid the dough. I thought, hey, I can do this! So, I went to work.



What do you think? It's not picture perfect but I think it's pretty good for my first! It was a long process, as bread typically is, waiting for the dough to rise. I made it to bring to my in-laws for Sunday night's dinner.

Here's the recipe if you want to try:

2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
8 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
approx. 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Topping:
2 Tbsp beaten egg
1/2 tsp. cold water
3/4 tsp sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
  1. In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, salt, egg, and 2 cups of the flour to form a soft dough
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled...about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into an 13 in. rope. Place ropes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
  4. Beat egg and water; brush over braid. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Yields: 1 loaf (16 slices)

If you would like the instructions on how to braid the ropes, please let me know!

I hope your first Monday in the New Year starts out right! Enjoy your week!







14 sweet comments:

Rose of Sharon said...

I ate that bread last night and let me tell all of you out there in blogland that it is delicious! Brittany, you did a fabo job! I am so proud of you! You are an awesome cook and you are teaching me things!

Love you so much! Sharon (Momma)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! I BET it WAS good! You did a great job. I've never braided bread either...maybe I'll just have to give it a try! Thanks Brittany!

Hugs,
Mardell

Liz Harrell said...

That is some REALLY good looking bread! I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brittany-Girl:

That bread looked just like you described it. What wonderful pictures you take and what a chef. I was looking at your table, all painted and set with those beautiful place mats and flowers. What a thoughtful husband you have. My heart sings with joy for you. I miss you.

Love,
Mom

Sherry said...

It looks GREAT! I am sure it was very good. My mother did not repeat ...did not teach me to cook so I learned after I got married with much trial and error. LOL

Elena said...

Yumm, your bread looks great. I haven't braided bread before either!

Kathi said...

Your bread looks so good Brittany. I would love to try that. Thank you for the recipe. Hugs, Kathi

Sondra said...

Your bread looks fabulous to me! Yummy. Nothing better than warm bread straight out of the oven.

Anonymous said...

That bread you made Brittany looks
just fine!! I like how the rows of
braids came out thick.
Pamela from NE OH

Brittany said...

Thanks Mom! I miss you too and can't wait to see you this summer!

Love you!

Brittany said...

Mardell and Pamela,

Thank you so much for the sweet comments! The bread did turn out well. I would like to try different recipes...my husband thought it would be neat if, with the braided parts, I put in parmesan cheese and pesto...good idea, huh?

Have a great week!

In Him,
Brittany

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

That looks soooo yummy! I'm a bread-a-holic for sure! The bread could have dirt on it, and I'd still want to eat it!!! Ok, maybe not, but I seriously love my carbs. :(

I've been wanting to make bread for a while now. You're giving me the courage to do it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Brittany the parmesan cheese and pesto WOULD be yummy!!
I also have a daughter in her 20s
she is married too. With a 2 year old daughter. They also live in the
west in Utah. Your
Mom in love Sharon is so right you are a
sweetie Brittany!
Gods Blessings to all of you!
Pamela

Brittany said...

Thanks Pamela! You're so sweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails