.
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

Tis the season to be baking!
Last Saturday night, my husband was out having guys night. It's such a great time for him to catch up with his friends. We both love it because we think it's important for each other to spend time with friends of the same gender. I can't meet Mackenzie some of the needs he gets met from his guy friends and likewise, he can't meet some of my needs that can be met through my girl friends!

Anyway, while he was out I decided to make homemade cinnamon rolls to surprise my hubby and have the next morning!


I found the recipe off allrecipes.com and this was my first time making cinnamon rolls from scratch! This recipe was one you prepare at night and then refrigerate overnight and bake it the next morning.

I was surprised actually by the minimal amount of ingredients needed to make the cinnamon rolls. All you need is:
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla (I added this ingredient)
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

First, in a small bowl, you dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it stand until creamy. This takes about 10 minutes.

Next, in a large bowl, you combine the yeast mixture with sugar, salt, egg, vanilla and 1 cup of the flour. Stir it very well!

Then, stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 a cup at a time.

When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, for about 8 minutes.

Then, cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 10 minutes....that's right, even dough has to rest!

Next, you're ready to roll the dough out on the same lightly floured surface. Roll it to a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Smear the dough with very softened butter. Then, sprinkle (heavily) with cinnamon and brown sugar. (I mixed the cinnamon and brown sugar up before I put it on the dough)

Roll up the dough along the long edge until it forms a roll. Slice the roll into equal slices and place them into a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan with the cut sides up. Mine made about 12.

There they are...my puny rolls! haha

Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning remove the rolls from the fridge and let rise for about 45 minutes. Then, bake them for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. You could probably skip the overnight step and just let them rise for the 45 minutes before baking them. Bake until golden brown!

I was surprised that my rolls didn't rise very much. I know I used the right kind of yeast. Who knows? Oh well, they tasted pretty good!

While the rolls were baking, I made a icing to glaze over them. It consists of:
  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons hot water
Just combine all 4 together.

I think I doubled the recipe!



There you have it! My lovely cinnamon rolls!

Have a safe and happy New Year's Eve!

Brittany


6 sweet comments:

Elena said...

Good job! I love cinnamon rolls:)

Rose of Sharon said...

Those look so wonderful Brittany! You are such a great little wife and homemaker! You are everything I dreamed and prayed for for my son! I will have to try your recipe!

Happy New Year's eve!

Love Sharon (Mom)

Anonymous said...

Those are great looking cinnamon rolls- it makes me want to make some! Come to think of it- I have never made homeade cinnamon rolls! I will put that on my to do list in the New Year!
That is wonderful that you each have seperate friend time- I think that is a healthy thing for both of you to do :) We girls need our girlfriend time! and so do the guys!

Your blog looks great Brittany-

Happy New Year!

Gail

the said...

You have given me the "umph" to go bake something fun for New Years snacks!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MANY BLESSING IN THE NEW YEAR!!

~2009~
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Brittany!
Those rolls look scrumptious! I love making them around the holidays. Have you ever used dental floss to cut them? Works like a charm. You simply put a pc. under the log where you want to cut it, bring the floss up and around & pull. I'm probably not making myself very clear?! Anyway, the cuts are perfect ~ better than any knife could cut & that way the rolls don't get mushed. So that's the *tip* for the day! LOL :o)

Happy New Year!
Hugs,
Mardell

Brittany said...

Thanks Mardell,

You know, I did hear about the dental floss idea to cut the rolls. I also heard you can cut them with a pastry cutter but I didn't have either! Well, I do have dental floss but I was told to use the non-waxed kind, which I do't have.

Anyway, thanks for the tip! Have a great day!

Brittany

Related Posts with Thumbnails