.
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

A few weeks ago, I took a chance at baking/roasting my first whole chicken. Now, I've cooked chicken before but never a whole one. The reason I decided to try this was, one, for the experience, and two, to get 3 meals out of it!

I was proud of the way it turned out!


There she is! I've gotta say one thing though...I was totally squeamish about taking the gizzards out! It was hysterical. I assumed the gizzards would be placed nicely in a little bag. You know, how they come with turkeys? Well, apparently, not this one! It took me about 10 minutes to actually put my hand in there and pull it out! Normally I'm not that squeamish but something about putting my hand through a hole to pull it out was just gross to me.

Anyway, after I finished freaking out about the gizzards. I soaked the chicken in salt water for an hour to help it to be more tender. This creates a salt brine. Then, after washing and patting it dry, I stuffed it with onions and rosemary. And rubbed it with this delicious rosemary garlic rub:
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 8 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
Mix all the ingredients together and rub all over the chicken.

***One thing you might want to change is the amount of salt.
It was pretty salty and if you're not a big salt person, I would reduce the amount.

The chicken was ready in about 2-2 1/2 hours and was delicious!

I served it with a salad and a rosemary version of Sharon's Cowboy Potatoes



Instead of the onions, I used garlic and I added some dried rosemary to the potatoes! Yum!

Let me know if you try either recipe! Hope you enjoy!

Oh, and with the extra chicken (if there is any) you can make other meals out if it!

I'm going to use ours for my famous Chicken Pesto Pasta and for Enchiladas!


14 sweet comments:

Barb said...

You remind me of my girls about the gizzard part,they think that's gross. We eat alot of roasted chicken also we like rosemary and lemon,I loosen the skin and put it under the skin and then bake it,so good.Your's looks delicious....Barb

Miller Racing Family said...

Looks good. I am going to have to try the potatoes. Hope you have a blessed day!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Brittany! Wow - you are brave to take that on. It turned out great! I am going to try it!

XOXOOX
Jen

Monica said...

That chicken looks so yummy.I'm always squeamish when it comes to cooking chicken.I was just about to buy a whole chicken the other day at the grocery store but then put it back after thinking about having to wash it.:}
Have a great day!

Leah said...

Looks yummy! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, Brittany! You're totally right about the experience. ;o) I remember my first "gizzarding", too, LOL! Everything looks - and I bet smelled! - delicious!! I love rosemary ANYTHING! Ed often says, "how many spices did you use today?"

Librarian or Teacher said...

Looks wonderful!

I love cooking just never seem to have the time for it.

Aliya said...

YUM! That looks delish!

Kathy said...

You did a wonderful job, Brittany! The chicken looks fabulous. Isn't it fun to try new things?
xo...Kathy

Dana said...

You are quite the yummy cook:) Looks delicious

Chris said...

I won't be showing my husband this post. He thinks chicken nuggets and frozen corn are a perfectly normal meal. Just wait 'til he sees what other people can make! :) It looks incredible!

Oma aka Meme said...

very nice and if you put a baggie over your hand - it helps to touch the yucks and then just turn it over what you discover in the chicken--LOL
thanks for sharing the recipes
hugs from Meme

momma said...

i hate the gizzard part too! :)

these both look delicious. i'll probably try the potatoes first (the gizzards on the chicken are turning me off - and i don't have a whole chicken in the house)

Bonita said...

Looks yummy. I roast my chickens in a baking bag with all the fixins. It's so tender and tastes wonderful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails