.
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

Monday, March 9, 2009

Yumm!


Have I mentioned that I love to be in the kitchen? Baking and cooking are so fun for me. I think it's because when I was in high school, my mom, sister and I would get together to experiment with a new recipe. We still do today actually. The only difference is, we're each in a different state. So now, we just exchange recipes that we've tried and like through email. It's so much fun.

Oh, and have I mentioned that I absolutely LOVE chocolate? Yep.

The other day I decided to try something new. I hadn't made a dessert
in a couple weeks and I had never used my bunt pan that we got as a gift from the wedding. So, I searched for a recipe for chocolate cake. The only problem was, I didn't have any eggs and didn't want to go to the store. But, I remembered that Mackenzie's grandmother had once made a cake that used mayonnaise instead of eggs. I thought there must be a recipe out there that uses mayo and found one!
It definitely sounds odd but trust me, it works wonders.


Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Cake
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional, but great)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking pan (if you're using a bunt pan, coat it with flour or cocoa powder as well, after you grease it.) Sift dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips, if using. Pour into pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This cake is so moist! It's delicious

Then, I decided that I wanted to drizzle an icing over it. I know, I could have stopped at just the cake but I didn't.

Here's the recipe for Vanilla Icing:
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-4 tbs. water
Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add water, 1 tbs. at a time. Mix until smooth and of desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. (Make sure the cake is completely cool!)

The recipe actually made more than I needed so I put it in the refrigerator to save for another use.


I've gotta say, Mackenzie absolutely loved this cake! He kept telling me I shouldn't make these things because he likes them too much. Made me smile.

I'll leave you with a picture of my mom, sister and I. Unfortunately, I don't have one of all three of us in the kitchen!

July of 2005 at my cousin's wedding...I should have a more recent one! Shame on me!


Have a blessed week!


11 sweet comments:

Rose of Sharon said...

Awe.....you guys are all so beautiful! I love that picture! The cake sounds fabulous! It just warms my heart to know that you are such a wonderful little bride for my son! You're doing a great job sweetie!

Love Sharon (Mom)

momma said...

yum! this looks delicious!!! i'm not a good baker - despite that fact that my dad owns a cake shop! i'm the best at refrigerator cookie dough :)

Kari said...

The cake looks delicious!! I'll definitely have to try that some time!

Thank you so much for your prayers--we really appreciate them!

God bless you Brittany =)

Kari

Carol Kennon said...

Definately looks YUMMY! I've tried cake recipes with mayonnaise instead of eggs and they are mosit. I just had to get over the mayonnaise part because I don't eat mayonnaise.

Mary Anne said...

Hi Brittany,

That cake does look delicious and so pretty. I love trying new recipes. My youngest daughter loves to bake too and is always on the lookout for new ideas. We may have to try out your recipe.

Have a terrific day!

Blessings,

Mary Anne

Elena said...

The cake looks and sounds so yummy! Such a cute pictures of you with your mom and sis!

Leah said...

That looks so yummy!

I'll have to try to make it sometime. I'm not a great baker though.

Charree said...

That cake looks so tasty. I will have to make it soon. Have a blessed day!
~Charree

Miller Racing Family said...

The cake looks wonderful! I have never tried either the bunt pan or the mayo so I might have to try this recipe. My family is getting to be the same way of trading out recipes. Hope you have a blessed day!

Barb said...

Wow this is my kinda cake,looks like you did a great job....Barb

AndreaLeigh said...

now that sounds interesting. mayo? well, i like it on sandwiches so it would probably good in a recipe as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails